Wednesday, December 23, 2009

CWC

In honor of Cuddly Wuddly Christ, Dave from RatherThanWorking, and the holiday season in general, here is my all-time favorite Christmas memory:

It’s December and we’re bringing down Mom’s mountains of Christmas decorations from the attic.

Da is up at the top of the stairs handing things down to us. Us is me, my brother Eric, and David, my boyfriend at the time.

It was a long process and we were all pretty crabby and dusty towards the end.

“Here’s a box of ornaments,” Da said. “Be careful.”

“Here’s the wreath.”

“Here are the outside lights, put those over in the corner.”

Finally, he got to the last box. The three of us looked up expectantly at Da, leaning down with that trademark half-serious grin.

“And here. Here’s the goddamned manger.”

Thanks to Da, every manger, anywhere (especially in my own house, dragging out decorations in December) is referred to as The Goddamned Manger.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am listening to: Bare Naked Ladies - God Rest Ye Merry Woop-di-do
I am reading: Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
And I am: Unbelievably joyful

5 comments:

Dave said...

Admit it Hedy, you wouldn't have done this post without my pushing.

But you gave me an extra smile this year. For those of you that haven't been visiting here for the long haul, Cuddly Wuddly Christ is an institution. Do a search on the blog if you like.

I'm thinking CWC, manger, damned or blessed and a bit more.

Up to it Hedy?

Hedy said...

Hey Dave - Yep, it's all because of you. I'm working on my comeback. It won't be nearly as miraculous (or long-awaited) as CWC, but hopefully worthwhile. Merry Christmas, dear friend.

Kvatch said...

Feliz Navidad Hedy!

- Kvatch y Frogette de Ecuador

fermicat said...

Merry Christmas!

I enjoy your blog and probably shouldn't be so lazy about commenting. But next week is resolution time, not today... so I'm off to pour another bourbon and enjoy my evening.

Kvatch said...

Hey Hedy... Feliz Año Nuevo de Ecuador!