Monday, January 30, 2006

A Savior of Sorts: What I Believe Part 3

Please remember: this is what I believe.

It’s not meant to be offensive or inflammatory, it just is.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I learned quite a bit during my “Crazy Jesus Phase” as Jim so charmingly called it.

Most importantly, I learned that the life of Jesus Christ was much more miraculous than his death.

I’ll say it again because it is very important to me: The life of Jesus Christ was the true miracle, not his death.

Jesus said: Love others as yourself.

There were no exceptions.

Jesus did not say, “Love everyone except for those hell-bound homosexuals!”

Or “love everyone so long as they believe exactly what you believe.”

He meant everyone. Unconditional love. Have you tried it lately? It’s a tall order for sure.

But it is the single most important thing that Jesus said and did while he was alive.

“But HEATHER! Jesus DIED for our SINS!”

I don’t believe that.

If it’s hard reading it, I’m sorry, but I don’t believe it.

Jesus didn’t die to save us from sin. He died because he was a revolutionary who believed women and servants were equal to men. Think about it. The Middle East isn’t exactly an egalitarian hotbed today, how bad was it 2000 years ago? No wonder they killed him.

When I first discovered what the real Jesus was all about, I was PISSED OFF BEYOND BELIEF that I’d only heard the died-for-our-sins part of it. I was so infuriated that this amazing man’s message of unconditional love had been twisted into what I perceived to be a weak-minded, juvenile concept amounting to a giant do-over for humanity.

There’s too much irresponsibility in this world today as it is without people using Christ to wipe the slate clean for them. The pain and trouble we cause others is real and doesn’t vanish in a poof of frankincense and myrrh. I will write about the much more logical and rational Jewish concept of repentance (the 3 r’s) in another episode.

The world would be a much more loving place if Christians (especially the Jesus Freaks) would focus more on the life of Christ rather than his so-called miraculous death. It makes me sad when I hear high-profile Christians like Pat Robertson using hate language – ironically, the very opposite of what Christ was all about. It makes me angry when born again Christians use Christ as an excuse to divide people rather than unite them.

Wherever he is now, I believe with all my heart that Jesus is grieving, seriously grieving, at all the things “Christians” are doing and saying on his behalf.

Love others as yourself.

When I got that, when I figured that part out, it blew my mind. It changed how I looked at everyone.

Of course, trying to offer unconditional love to others can be a challenge when the other person happens to be a Fucking Idiot Who’s Driving Too Slow in the Fast Lane.

This is what I struggle with every day.

And this is how I know that Jesus Christ was special, he was God, he was a Savior of Sorts.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As a corollary, here’s a little more regarding what I believe:
  • Everything in the Universe is connected and that force (like The Force in Star Wars) is the true essence of God
  • Jesus was referring to that force when he said love others as yourself – because we truly are One
  • Anyone can tap into the force if they try
  • Call it Karma, the Golden Rule, or the pagan Rule of Three – what goes around surely comes around
  • If it harms none, do what you will
  • Everyone chooses the life they will lead – how and where they are born and everything that follows
  • Every life has a core lesson; every person has a purpose
  • Our souls reincarnate until we learn all the lessons we’re supposed to learn
  • The concept of Heaven as a place where everything is perfect sounds very boring
  • The concept of Hell where souls suffer because of misdeeds sounds very accurate
  • God has a great sense of humor
  • We should worship both the feminine and masculine aspects of God
  • There isn’t just one path to God; enlightenment can come in a variety of ways
  • That said, we should not judge others for what they believe, what works for some will not work for others.
Remember, this is what I believe and it works for me. Blessed be.

3 comments:

butta said...

i stumbled upon your blog... and i just want to say this: magnificent.

butta said...

randomly stumbled upon your blog... i have one word: magnificent.

it is a good thing to have an open mind.

JD's Leadership Blog said...

Actions speak louder than words. I for one, am trying not to talk so much - but to show other by my actions. This includes being a Christian. Here is the key (of which I just found out after 38 years, now I'm 40 so it's getting more clear) - we all need to quit correcting others. The 3 C's are rampant: Condemning, complaining, criticizing. The 3 A's are far better to follow: Accept, Approve, and Appreciate. Lift others up instead of tearing them down. Serving others is where it's at and it's where I'm trying to get to. That is where I think Christians should focus on. Thanks Hedy for all you do.