Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The 'miracle' I missed

It was around 10:30 p.m. and Grossman had thrown his fourth or fifth interception when I finally gave up. Maybe it was six. I don’t know. But it was ugly. And I was tired.

Before saying more, let me remind you that I am not a sports fan. I do not live in a sports house. I watch teams when they’re winning and I don’t waste my time when they’re not. To me, it’s just another form of entertainment.

You can like me or dislike me for that fact; I’m okay with that.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So to wake up to a text message from Jim saying: “Bears win!” was just a bit surprising.

I’m pissed I missed it.

And as a friend admonished me: “A lesson perhaps for the non-believers among us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yep. Non-believers indeed.

Apparently, along with Brian Urlacher, God played a role in last night’s win because here’s the headline from the Chicago Tribune: “Bears pull off Monday night miracle.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And now I’m even more irritated.

Because miracles do not happen in sports.

A miracle is when a passerby pulls a woman out of a burning car on the side of the road. Or when a man who is in the hospital and near death recovers and goes back to living his life and loving his family.

A miracle is when people’s lives are profoundly and irrevocably changed for the better.

To say that the Bears performed a miracle last night degrades the true meaning of the word.

Miracles do not happen on football fields, goddammit.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
But what about Lance Armstrong? If that's not a miracle, I don't know what is.

It was a miracle that he lived. It was not a miracle that he won the Tour de France seven times -- that was due to hard work and determination on his part.

He could've survived cancer and sat on the couch eating potato chips for the rest of his life and it would still be a miracle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Of course, I’m still sorry to have missed the Bears win last night.

Brian Urlacher is a god.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am reading: Salon.com
I am listening to: Nothing – Oprah is muted (a small miracle perhaps)
And I am: Pissed

0 comments: