Monday, October 02, 2006

O+

Hey Neil,

I read your column tonight and then scrambled upstairs to find my LifeSource donor card since I couldn't remember my blood type.

I'm O+.

Don't get too excited, though, I don't think I can do it. My first reaction was why not? I'm healthy -- I don't smoke, I don't drink (too much) and I'm in relatively good shape.

But I did a little research on it before writing to you and found out that donating a kidney is Major Surgery. I'd have to be off work for four to six weeks. That's huge.

It made me think though: What is one life worth? Is it worth a month of my life to save someone else? Would I do it for a family member? Hell, yes. A friend? Of course.

But for someone I've never met? I don't know.

And that really, really sucks. I hate feeling this way, but it's good to be thinking about it. Thank you.

Heather S.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dear Heather --

I know the feeling -- I'm lucky because I can fall back on the knowledge that I'm not that good a person. I don't think the surgery is quite as major as it used to be. I'm going to do a follow-up, and will find out how long giving your kidney would lay you up.

NS
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am listening to: The Bears beat the crap outta Seattle
I am reading: The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James
And I am: Contemplating kidneys

0 comments: