Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Giving it up - Part Deux

Things I could give up:

Being critical of others
Snacks
Driving too fast
Swearing
Buying stuff I don’t need
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Give up swearing? Fuck that.

Driving fast? No chance, I love it too much.

But that ‘being critical of others” thing is huge for me.

I have this running commentary in my head.

“Idiot!”
“Shut up!”
“Asshole!”

I believe that you get what you put out there and I am quite certain all this negativity has an impact.

In analyzing these mean thoughts, I realized they are directed mostly at strangers whose behavior I don’t agree with.

Somebody driving too slowly. Somebody talking too much.

Somebody crinkling wrappers in the movie theater. That’s a big one.

Why am I so critical of people I don’t know?

Because these people are infringing on my world and getting in the way of what I want to do.

The reality is they’re just living in their world, doing what they want to do.

I’ve heard that people tend to be critical of the faults in others they are most guilty of themselves.

The fact is, we all have moments of utter stupidity and thoughtlessness.

Perhaps I will be less thoughtless and stupid if I become more tolerant of others.

So Heather’s Lenten Theme is to be nicer to people who are getting in the way of my good day. Instead of reacting with anger and frustration, I will attempt to understand their idiocy and go with the flow.

And yes, for today I am still being critical. Lent hasn’t started yet.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You might be thinking, “Wait a minute. You said you’re not a Christian. You don’t believe in stuff like Lent.”

True and true.

It might be a bit hypocritical, but I’m not above leveraging some artificial religious construct for my own personal gain.

And goddamn, I do love a good Friday fish fry.

0 comments: