Thursday, August 03, 2006

Working from home

I am working from home today.

"That's what you get for being so friendly," said my co-worker Brian, after I complained that more than 15 people stopped by my desk to chat yesterday.

That's what I get all right.

So now I'm lounging on the couch eating peanut butter toast and trying not to get crumbs in the laptop.

I am savoring both the toast and the quiet.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Every few minutes, the quiet is interrupted by a big sigh from Gromit the Dog.

He gets so excited when one of us stays home on a weekday only to be bitterly disappointed when he finds us camped at a laptop all day.

So these forlorn little sighs are his way of saying, "I'm here. In case you wanna play or gimme a scratch or something."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Somebody dies. Family members argue.

Is this an unwritten rule somewhere?

You would think that sort of deep loss and sadness would bring people together.

Of course it's stressful. There's nothing worse.

But it's also a reminder that we're all here on a temporary basis and that we should love each other and get along.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gromit is particularly pissed off today. He didn't even beg for a bite of peanut butter toast.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Since I didn't get my usual train ride this morning, this has to be short and sweet.

Because when I say I'm working from home, I actually mean it.

Tomorrow: Racialy Un-motived Part Two
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am listening to: Quiet
I am reading: Lab & managed services sell sheets
And I am: Productive

0 comments: