Monday, December 31, 2007

About Bhutto

Say what you will about Benazir Bhutto, she was a true patriot.

She believed in bringing democracy to the people of Pakistan. And she was willing to risk her life to do it.

It can be a challenge keeping up on world events, what with blogging about poop and handjobs all the time. So you shouldn’t be surprised to hear I’m a typical American and didn’t know much about Bhutto until her ballyhooed return to Pakistan in October.

But I’ve had nothing but Bhutto on the brain since terrorists finally succeeded in killing her last week.

Why?

Not because it was all that surprising – the terrorist whack-nuts said they’d kill her if she returned to Pakistan and they did. Maybe it’s sad to say, but we should never, ever be surprised by terrorists doing what they say they’re gonna do.

Here’s why I’ve got Bhutto on the brain: The world needs more patriots. We need more people willing to die for what’s really important to them.

Look at our current candidates on the cusp of the big caucus. A pathetic paucity of patriotism.

Okay, there’s McCain – the truest of true patriots among them.

But can you honestly see someone like Hillary Clinton dying for democracy? Or any cause, for that matter? Of course there are plenty of people who’d gladly kill her for way less, but that’s not important right now.

Mitt? Edwards? Barack? Giuliani? Thompson?

Nope. Softies, the lot of ‘em.

Maybe Ron Paul. But only because he’s a half-crazy Libertarian already. It wouldn’t take much to tip him over the patriotic edge.

What about Huckabee, Hedy? He's leading the polls in Iowa.

Mike Huckabee was on Meet the Press yesterday and I liked him. A lot. Way more than I expected. While I disagree with him on practically all the big issues, he seemed to have more integrity than the others and he was very honest and logical about his views. Plus, he was a pretty successful governor in Arkansas. Sadly, the only thing Huckabee's gonna die for is cuddly-wuddly Christ, but I respect him for his willingness to die for something in this silly day and age.

So where are all the true patriots? Am I missing someone? Who's a true American patriot that should be running for president right now?

And what would you be willing to die for? Anything?
~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am listening to: Dan Fogelberg – Same Old Lang Syne
I am reading: The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
And I am: Holding out for a hero

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa, whoa Hedy... Ron Paul the 'half crazed Libertarian' and a soft endorsement of Huckabee; all in one post? I understand that we are moving into dangerous waters, mixing politics and the usual fare (3-ways, dog stories, etc), but maybe you could elaborate on which points in the Ron Paul message are the crazy ones. And Huckabee, at whom R Paul tossed the great Sinclair Lewis qoute (in reference to the Christmas ad): 'when fascism comes to this country, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross.'

Anonymous said...

"We need more people willing to die for what’s really important to them"
Really????? - you mean like more terrorists and suicide bombers?

Hedy said...

At the risk of sounding like the Cowardly Lion today:

Courage. It's about believing in freedom of speech and religion and true equality for EVERYONE (not just men) and being willing to sacrifice your life fighting for it.

Courage. It's not about killing others because they don't follow your religious/political beliefs.

Courage. Something you probably wouldn't understand there, 'Anonymous'. But thanks so much for visiting.

Dave said...

This whole post was an excuse to type cuddly- wuddly, admit it!

Happy New Year!

molly gras said...

My kids. I'd willing throw myself in front of a bullet, or in front of a suspiciously sweaty guy in a bulky overcoat or [Oh, let's jump in the "way-back machine"] a Nazi party round-up gang to save my kids. I'd pretty much f**king do anything to protect my kids.

I'm a home and hearth kinda of person. Screw the rest.

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

Maybe my kids and perhaps healthcare reform. Oh wait, I misunderstood... I thought you meant what would you die FROM!

Hedy said...

Taxman! Sorry for the delay in responding...it's been 24 hours of New Year's revelry here at HedyBlog as you might imagine. I knew I'd need to clarify my position on Ron Paul AND Mike Huckabee after yesterday's post and I promise to do it this week. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Best wishes for 2008! And thank you for always providing refreshing, intelligent commentary.

Hedy said...

I'm not willing to die for my country or my government as it exists today but I am willing to die for the original ideas the U.S. was founded on which we seem to have lost, especially post 9/11. We're long overdue for another tea party and if need be, I'd join it. And while I'd be okay dieing for a good cause, I'd prefer to live for a good cause as long as possible. :)

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Hedy and all, I promise that I won't go on a crusade against Huckabee here but I ran across this article today (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/01/us/politics/01huckabee.html?_r=1&oref=slogin). Using the words that you used: 1) logical, very 2) honest, only in a Karl Rove sorta way 3) integrity, no

Hedy said...

Thanks, Taxman. I woulda missed that one. He's tricky for sure. They actually used the word legerdemain. I would never in a million years vote for Huckabee, but he came off pretty well (better than others) on Meet the Press. There's no explaining why I thought he had integrity - I guess it's the same thing that happens when people say they like Hillary Clinton. It's a mystery.