Friday, December 05, 2008

UWantSavings.com

Editorial note: There are no ads on HedyBlog, for a variety of good reasons. And I’ve offered up endorsements in the past, but today’s post is different. I’m writing about UWantSavings.com because a) I’ve tried it myself and b) I really think you could benefit from it. Full disclosure: two very good friends of mine were instrumental in launching this business. So that’s another great reason to check it out. A small favor: If you like what you see, please share the site with your friends and family members, too. Thanks and happy holidays.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Too much stuff.

What happens when Wal-Mart, Target, and other retail box stores slow down their buying? What happens when a manufacturer makes too many of a given product?

There's too much stuff. It sounds impossible, but it happens all the time.

There’s fabulous, brand-new stuff out there – that major retailers just don’t have room for –waiting to find a home.

That’s where UWantSavings.com comes in.

They find a variety of amazing overstock items and sell them at up to 80% off the retail price.

The site itself is based on a cool concept: UWantSavings offers a limited number of new items every day, things you’ll find in different areas of their online ‘house’. Cookware and utensils in the kitchen, tools in the garage, and one-of-a-kind items in the attic. There are also great deals on toys in the kids’ rooms and bath and body goods in the bathroom.

It’s a good idea to explore the UWantSavings house every day because you just never know what inexpensive and extremely useful item you might find.

How is this site different from Woot!, Hedy? UWantSavings is similar to Woot! in concept only. Like I said, they offer a limited number of items each day until they’re sold out.

But the prices you’ll find at UWantSavings are considerably lower than any other overstock discount site on the Internet. In fact, the folks at UWantSavings often provide helpful ‘shout-outs’ to other sites offering the same products as UWS – priced ridiculously higher.

How come I haven’t heard of UWantSavings yet? Because they’ve only been online for a month. But they’ve already got more than 300 happy customers, including me. Better still, UWantSavings is getting a lot of attention on deal aggregator sites like:

www.dodtracker.com
www.froomb.com
www.zerodaydeals.com
www.dealtouch.com
www.dealadaytracker.com
www.dealighted.com
www.dealspl.us
www.cheapstingybargains.com
www.dealcatcher.com
www.dealtaker.com
www.thedailydeals.com
www.deal-of-the-day-tracker.com
www.onedaydeal.com
www.mydailybargains.com
www.buxr.com

Plus, they're getting good traffic from these social shopping & networking sites:

www.slickdeals.net (forums)
www.windsorpeak.com
www.cafemom.com
www.fosterparents.com
Community.thenest.com
Community.thebump.com

UWantSavings also is getting great press in the Chicago Sun-Times, the Daily Herald, Internet Retailer, and Retailer Daily. Click to read the articles.

What did you get from UWantSavings.com, Hedy? I’ll be happy to tell you – after Christmas. All of my closest family members are receiving gifts from UWantSavings this year. Of course, we’ll spend the holidays teaching Gromit how to use his brand-new Panini maker, but it’ll be time well spent if we can only get him to stop drooling on everything he makes.

Happy shopping!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am listening to: Office sounds
I am reading: Henry VIII – Margaret George
And I am: Shopping at UWantSavings.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can make a da panini. Anda whena Ima done with that I'lla break outa da Georg-a Forman Grill and we cana hava da sandwich extravaganza!
Drooling on da Green
Gromit

Dave said...

OK, I'll be a scrooge (should I have capitalized that?).

I never buy online from a company that isn't "national" - Amazon, a brick and mortar store that has a site and on.

I'm not an early adopter when it comes to giving a faceless page credit card information.

Merry Christmas 2009 or 2010 to UWantSaving.com.

Gromit, the Foreman (I think my spelling is right) does most of what a press does, settle.

Hedy said...

I totally understand, Dave. Because I know these guys - they've been in tech for decades and built a $90m business around it - the security issue never once occurred to me.

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

H -- I'm not a Scrooge like Dave, but I have a friendly suggestion for your friends, if they would like feedback of the unsolicited variety...

It drove me CRAZY that when I was viewing a category, I didn't have an obvious menu of other categories from which to choose. Instead I had to BACK to the home and choose a new category. Sure, I could have chosen the ALL option, but that was not what I wanted. (Oh, BTW -- such a menu *might* actually be there already, but I didn't see it. And I am trained to look for these things...)

So, that's my free advice... Pass it along if you think it would help.

Thanks for letting me say that.