Monday, December 04, 2006

Train folks

I've told you about Sir Richard, my gallant train conductor.

A few weeks ago, he was the catalyst for meeting my new and wonderful friend Susan.

And this morning Susan introduced me to two more train people: Robin and Jim (?).

These are familiar faces I've seen practically every day for the past three years.

We live in the same communities. We work in the city. We ride the train together.

But we'd never spoken until this morning.

Do you know people like this?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Then, on an ordinary yet miraculous Monday, you talk to them for just a little while.

You learn they have families. They've survived cancer and heart attacks. They play music in a band. They even know some of the same people you know.

It expands your view of the world. Opens you up just a little bit, like an early Christmas gift.

It reminds you that these people you see mostly as strangers -- as just another part of your daily scenery -- are genuine and fun and interesting.

They're just like you, riding the train. But so much more than that.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am listening to: The fan on my desk
I am reading: A press release for the Minnesota office
And I am: Back to work!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

On behalf of myself, Robin and Jeff - thank you for the kind words! I look forward to future talks, walks and whatever else is in store!! More