Monday, April 10, 2006

So

glad that I got outta bed at 4:30 this morning.

The big buttery moon low out west made it all worthwhile.

And a good long, sweaty workout first thing always makes my days extra zippy.
~~~~~~~~~~~
I finished Holy Blood, Holy Grail over the weekend. I almost gave up, it was so painfully boring.

Then, two-thirds through it got interesting.

If you haven’t read DaVinci Code yet, I won’t spoil it.

But let me say that sadly, these authors didn’t do a great job of proving their theory. It makes sense, and they were very logical in their approach, but without proof it’s rather pointless.

Plus, it doesn’t really change who Jesus was and what he did.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Of course, I had to jump right in and read DaVinci again. I started it Saturday morning and finished it last night.

Having read the actual research behind this decidedly fictional book made it that much more interesting.

What I love most has nothing to do with the story, though.

Dan Brown has a great understanding of religious history. And he makes a point to remind readers that the early Christian church appropriated many pagan traditions and holidays. Threaded through the entire story are little reminders that religion wasn’t always male dominated; that there was time when the sacred feminine was revered equally.

For that reason alone, the book should be required reading.
~~~~~~~~~~~
And yes, I spent the entire weekend reading. I haven’t done that since I was single and living alone in Geneva. It was fabulous and I really want to do it again next weekend.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Okay, I lied.

I didn’t spend the entire weekend reading.

I did a little zip zip zipping around.

Funny story: took a spin through the neighborhood first to make sure everything felt right after its long winter nap. I usually ride to the far end of the sub and turn around in a cul-de-sac. Turns out, I’m not the only one. Yesterday there was a Large Marge on a Harley doing the same thing, just ahead of me. It was obvious the bike was brand new and she was getting a feel for it. But that didn’t stop her from giving me and my bike a look of distain as I pulled up. She was riding with no helmet and no leather; just the smug superior smile of someone who needs a big, expensive toy to feel better than everyone else.

She stalled it. I gave her a friendly little wave as I zipped by.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am reading: The Red Tent (Thanks, Judy!)
I am listening to: Raconteurs – Steady as She Goes
I am: Zippy

0 comments: