Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Synchronicity

Yesterday on a whim I sent a new friend my all time favorite song.

An hour later, out of the blue an old friend sent me this challenge: Tell me your favorite songs of all time. Any era, any band, one-hit-wonder, you name it.

It was a tiny bit of synchronicity.

Reminds me of the movie High Fidelity. It’s a slightly better than average film only because of Jack Black and the clever use of the top five list.

The main character is going through a bit of a life crisis and decides to examine his top five break-ups. It goes on from there, weaving songs and silliness throughout.

I’ll save you the misery of reviewing my top five break-ups. How tiresome would that be, delving into anyone’s history of self-induced drama.

But I did throw together a list of my favorite songs, 40+ in all. Here’s the top five:

Feeling Alright - Joe Cocker
Son of a Preacher Man - Dusty Springfield
Boys of Summer - Don Henley
Galileo - Indigo Girls
Somewhere Over the Rainbow - Israel Kamakawiwo'ole

These are songs that put me in a good mood no matter what’s happening.

The rest of the list? It’s the soundtrack for my whole life.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Probably the best scene in High Fidelity involves the main character (played by John Cusack) organizing his record collection.

His employee Barry stops by and asks how he’s doing it.

“Not alphabetical, I hope,” says Barry.

“No. Autobiographical.” he explains.

So now, as if I don’t have enough to do, I am organizing the songs autobiographically. Fun, eh?
~~~~~~~~~~~
What’s your favorite song? Send it to me and I’ll publish what I receive.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Quote of the Day: “If there weren’t any women on the show, we could call it 12.” - Jim, on my favorite topic of how chicks are constantly screwing up the tv show 24.
~~~~~~~~~~~
I am reading: Nothing
I am listening to: Hedy’s Top Mix
And I am: Singing

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

favorite song-The Gumbo Variations by Frank Zappa

-anonymous detroit musician