Sunday, April 02, 2006

I'm not purple

AUNT SARAH: Maybe you’re not an artist.
CLAIRE: Why would you say that?
AUNT SARAH: Did it hurt your feelings when I said it?
CLAIRE: Yeah.
AUNT SARAH: Maybe I’m right. Maybe if you were an artist you would’ve laughed when I said it. Like if you told me I was purple I would laugh because I know I’m not purple. But when I said you weren’t an artist you felt bad maybe because there’s a grain of truth in it.

(From Season Five of HBO’s Six Feet Under)
~~~~~~~~~~~~
And that’s what being offended is all about: a grain of truth.

It’s usually some ugly reality about ourselves that we’ve buried deep for a reason.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Why don’t you get off your big fat ass and get me a drink?”

Yep. Someone I’ve known less than a year said that to me a while ago.

How would you react? How did I react?

I laughed my big fat ass off.

0 comments: