Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Regarding big words

Last week I mentioned meeting the best friend of Denny Hastert’s right hand man. He’s the one who said the Obama book I’m reading has a lot of big words in it.

I also said something to the effect that ‘He might be a Republican and that would explain the big words comment.’

What did you think I meant? That Republicans are a buncha big dummy-heads who don’t read s’good?

That’s not what I meant. At all.

I’m really sorry if I left that impression.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The guy’s name is Reuben, by the way. He’s a sweet-faced, engaging, intelligent man.

And here’s what I meant to say: If Reuben is a Republican like his friends, then his perception of the book might be clouded by his political beliefs. Maybe he sees Obama the Democrat as a threat.

Maybe by making him out to be some kinda big-words-usin’ liberal think-monster, Reuben might try to convince others that Obama’s not the Honest-to-Gosh Political Messiah this country’s been craving since John F. Kennedy.

That’s what I meant.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Or, like the Washington Post last week, Reuben the Republican might make Obama out to be a big-words-usin’ liberal cokehead.

Have you heard about this? In his first book, Dreams from My Father, Obama admitted using marijuana and cocaine in high school.

First, do me a favor and read the previous sentence one more time. Then replace ‘using’ with ‘trying’. What is the effect?

I almost made the substitution because I knew it would leave a better impression. But I didn’t, because I’m pretty sure he did way more than try those drugs. Some sneaky little reporter from the liberal-biased media might try to pull that on ya someday, so be warned.

Next, I don’t know too many people who didn’t get high once or twice in high school. Obama’s admission makes him more human, more honest than that other “but I didn’t inhale” Democrat.

Plus, Obama admitted he’s made some mistakes. How refreshing.

He’s a candidate who admits to his skeletons rather than using his family’s wealth and influence to cover them up like that “I didn’t really go AWOL” Republican we know.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“But I didn’t get high in high school, Hedy.”

Good for you, honey. Neither did I.

However, I did get shit-faced with my good friend Jack Daniels on a semi-regular basis before turning 21 and that was illegal, too, so what’s the difference?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here’s my favorite quote from the Obama book so far:

“The Founders may have trusted in God, but true to the Enlightenment spirit, they also trusted in the minds and senses that God had given them.”

No big words there. Just simple, practical wisdom combined with a refreshing undercurrent of honesty.

I’m still not sure if Jesus is coming back, but Obama just might make me a believer. In something.

And that's really something.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am listening to: Train sounds
I am reading: Obama fama fo fama
And I am: Tense

1 comments:

Dave said...

I went back and re-read the earlier post. I think you are engaging in revisionism. Given what the guy said to you, I think what I understood to be your original conclusion is valid. Any politician who isn't understood, be it by Democrat, Republican or other, has a problem. Of course, any politician who actually takes a stand on issues has another problem.