Monday, January 22, 2007

Yelling at the past

The game is at 2 >:(

That was the text message Jim sent from California on Wednesday, just as I hung up from purchasing the tickets. We’d been texting each other for the better part of an hour figuring out what to do for The Nephew’s 15th birthday weekend.

Yes, we waited ‘til the last minute. Yes, tickets to the Saturday shows for Blue Man Group were sold out.

“What about Sundy?” I text.

And that’s how we ended up watching shiny blue men whipping marshmallows at each other instead of watching THE BEARS play in the NFC CHAMPIONSHIP game here in CHICAGO.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am not a sports-minded person. I didn’t even grow up here. And I’m a chick, for the love of Mike.

Jim is not sports-minded either, but he's spent the better part of 47 years in Illinois.

His excuse was that he was in California for a sales kick-off meeting and wasn't thinking about the game.

I'll let you decide who's more responsible for this little cock up.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The BMG show was at 1 p.m. If everything went as planned, I figured we’d be home in time to catch the second half.

But with the game DVR’ing at home, Jim insisted on Radio Silence during the drive home.

“Wouldn’t you rather know what’s happening?” I beg.

“No, I want to watch the whole game when we get home.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
While Jim watches the DVR’d game on the Large Main TV in the living room, The Nephew and me sneak away periodically to check the score on the Smaller Auxiliary TV in the family room.

Within minutes, Jim is yelling at some player who didn’t do something he should’ve done or at least something Jim would’ve done had he become a professional football player instead of a computer geek.

“You’re yelling at something that happened two hours ago,” I say.

“You’re yelling at the past,” says The Nephew.

“Can we at least fast forward through the re-plays?” I ask.

“It’s a replay of the past,” says The Nephew.

“ShadDAP, both of ya!” says normally mild-mannered Jim.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don’t get me wrong, I love the whole DVR thing. It’s great for catching up on The Office or Boston Legal or whatever.

But for live events – especially sports – it makes no sense to me.

One of the best parts of about watching a game is experiencing it with every one else, right? The excitement, the rush of watching your team do exactly what everyone wants them to do.

It’s all about being in the moment, while it’s happening.

DVR’ing sports (unless you use it for your own instant replays) is like tourists who never actually experience Disney World or wherever they are because they’re too busy recording it for later.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fortunately, the smart little DVR system stopped recording right at 5 p.m. just like the schedule told it to do. When Jim flipped over to the live game to start recording again, he saw the score and it was enough to suck him into watching the rest of it.

The lesson: Be where you are, stop shouting at the past, and Go Bears!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am listening to: Brian the inside sales guy on the phone
I am reading: Rick Telander – Sun-Times
And I am: Here

0 comments: