Monday, January 01, 2007

Standing up

“How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.”

Henry David Thoreau said that.

Standing up.

It’s been a bit of a challenge for me over the past three weeks since I have what appears to be a herniated disc.

Herniated disc is the polite way of saying “FUCK SOMEONE IS STABBING ME IN THE FUCKING LEG MAKE IT STOP. FUCK.”

Mostly immobile, icing my spine, and heavily medicated, HedyBlog ran outta juice on December 22 – right around the time the whole Donald Trump/Rosie O’Donnell thing kersploded.

The physical pain was nothing compared to the mental trauma of experiencing an Explosion of Idiocy of this magnitude. So I shut down for a bit.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Plus, much of what happens in HedyBlog comes from being out in the world – especially out in Chicago, the best city on the planet.

Trapped at home, the topic list is limited: Gromit, pain, medication, bad daytime TV, Gromit, naps, fuck that fucking hurts, Gromit, and the always popular: effective methods for showering when you can’t stand up for more than two minutes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2006 was the Year of Traveling Lightly.

It was the first time I’d ever christened a year and I was surprised (in good and bad ways) how it took on a life of its own.

As planned, I off-loaded some mental and physical baggage. There were successes and failures too boring to mention here.

And I’m still working through some of it, which is why 2007 will be The Year of Making a Difference (YOMAD).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hedy, how do you shower when you can’t stand up for more than two minutes?

Apologies to Kermit, but it ain’t easy being clean.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I read somewhere that when you’re not feeling great, the best way to feel better is by doing something for someone else.

So that’s the plan for 2007.

Standing up to live so I can sit down to write.

Cheers.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am listening to: Dumb New Year’s Eve TV
I am reading: The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama
And I am: Hopeful

0 comments: