Thursday, October 04, 2007

Trading places

“So you’re targeting mostly eye-bee’s, right?” asks the aging tchotchke vendor yesterday afternoon.

We're chatting in my new office, which is nice in spite of smelling like a frat house couch.

“Introducing brokers? No. This show’s all retail,” I say.

“Are you sure?” she asks with no small bit of incredulity.

“Yep. I’m Sure.”

Confession: Like I knew what the fuck an introducing broker was 48 hours ago. But it makes me happy in small ways to be keeping up with this irritating, know-it-all bitch who makes a living pushing cheapie pens and stress balls.

Feeling a tad touchy are we, Hed?

Nah. Not really. I’m meeting tons of great people this week – in an industry that is totally new to me – and nobody save her has captured that oh-so-charming combo of condescension and conceit.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cool Thing #1: They got me a flowering plant for my desk (which I will likely kill), plus a huge box of office supplies. A brand new BlackJack. And a nice “Welcome Heather!” note on the white board in my office.

This is the nicest welcome I've ever received in my life. Outside of Wal-Mart.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The thing is, as they say here in Chicago, "I gotta guy."

I've already got a tchotchke vendor. I've been working with him for years. He's awesome.

And he sure as hell knows better than to show up with 15 catalogs featuring all the same shit only in different colors expecting me to do all the work figuring out what I need.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Which industry, Hed?

Think Trading Places combined with Wall Street, then throw in a little Boiler Room and you’ve got it.

Except these folks are ethical. Super ethical.

You don’t survive in this business for more than 20 years if you’re not.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cool Thing #2: First thing outta the shoot on Monday, a co-worker takes me down on the trading floor at the Chicago Board of Trade.

It’s huge and confusing. But apparently more quiet than ever since the advent of electronic trading. Some even say the pits will go away eventually, which is kinda sad, given the history of that place.

So the new gig is going well. It’s a relief to be out of IT services for goddamn good. The people I work with are sharp and fun and interesting. And best of all, they seem to really appreciate what I do. For the first time in 10 years I’m really excited about work again.

And that's a feeling I wouldn't trade for anything.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am listening to: O.A.R. – The Rhythm of Your Shoes
I am reading: HP7 + The Complete Idiot's Guide to Futures and Options
And I am: In a better position (Get it? A better position? I’m so into this.)

7 comments:

DewMama said...

#1: "eye-bee's"?? I'm thinking--oh--she's talking to someone with a weird accent about Arby's!! I guess it's because you and I have had so many Arby's adventures :) Or maybe I shouldn't read your blog at 6:30 AM while waiting for Brianna to get her butt in gear, when I've only been awake for 5 minutes.

#2: A soon-to-be-dead plant and paper clips are the nicest welcome you've ever received?? Ah--how about the welcome you got when you visited earlier this year? OK, so we didn't give you a supply of white-out or post-it notes, but I think a welcome from 2 adults, 1 teenage girl, 3 crazy boys and 2 pony-sized dogs is one helluva welcome!!

#3: Glad you're liking it so far.

Susan's Snippets said...

Hedy’s Happy!
Jacky flappy;
My toe is tappy, tappy!
So this might be sappy, sappy.
I don’t give a crappy, crappy!
Like I said Hedy’s Happy!

I think I need a nappy, nappy....

Anonymous said...

SO SO SO happy for you Hedy!!

Anonymous said...

Big congratulations to you!

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

now that you're gainfully employed, please, it's killing me. fess. you left your last job because they found about how you fixed those golf tee giveaways.

admit it.

Dave said...

Stupid me, I just assumed you moved to another IT type place. Nope. Now, I have to watch the bread crumbs as you move through your new world. She said this, and then this. She's, nope. Start again.

Funny, I knew at the last place it was something in IT but the specifics didn't seem important. Now, I'm about to be obsessed.

Can I get insider trader kind of stuff from you? Remember, Martha only did six months, at home as I recall.

Hedy said...

Thank you so much for all the happy wishes. . . xoxo!