Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Bust my buttons

I’m running late because I did something old-fashioned this morning.

A good old-fashioned humjob, Hedy? Way to go. Jim's gotta be smiling.

Shaddap. No.

I didn’t blow something, I sewed something. A button on a blouse.

Yep. I. Sewed. A button. On a blouse.

Crazy, eh?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I’m not particularly domestic. I get nervous making Jell-O.

Just thinking about my brief childhood foray into 4-H Club makes my stomach jump.

There were three projects for girls: Sew a blouse, knit a hat, and string a necklace.

“Why can’t I make a birdhouse with the boys?” I asked.

“Because you have a vagina, sweetheart,” the Himmler-esque 4-H leader replied.

I’m pretty sure that’s what she said.

Anyhow. I sweated over these projects for what seemed like the longest winter in history. With completely disastrous results.

One sleeve was longer than the other on the blouse. The hat had a hole in it. And I can’t really talk about the necklace it was so traumatic.

So you can imagine how shocked Mom and I were when, walking through the Craft House at the Armada Fair the following summer, we discovered that my lop-sided blouse had won a red second place ribbon.

I’m sure the judges had good intentions. But that silly ribbon did diddly-squat for my fragile self-esteem.

Instead, it transformed me into the cynical, domestically challenged freak before you today.

Head Heart Hands my ass.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In truth, the button is something the cleaners should’ve caught and repaired. I actually tossed it in the dry cleaning basket after discovering the missing button a couple weeks ago but forgot to mention it at the drop-off. Of course they should’ve caught it but apparently the Ancient Chinese Secret is “Sew your own fucking buttons, Missy.”

So this morning I gathered up the necessary materials and fixed it myself.

Thread. Needle. Jim’s ‘cheater’ reading glasses. Scissors. Button.

Here’s the surprise: Aside from stabbing myself in the finger several times, it was extremely comforting.

“I could do this all day,” I thought. “Or at least another 10 minutes.”

There was something about it that felt – I dunno – quaint. Cozy. Old-timey.

Plus, I now have this tight-as-a-button button on my shirt again. I even re-threaded two other buttons that were threatening to make a break for it.

Was this the only shirt in your closet, Hed? How about just giving it another go at the dry cleaners? Why waste a morning on something like this?

It’s completely irrational, I know.

But no more or less rational than a morning blowjob.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am listening to: Pussycat Dolls - Loosen Up My Buttons
I am reading: The Shack by William P. Young
And I am: Domestically challenged

2 comments:

Susan's Snippets said...

Hedy -

Congrats...but I think you are selling yourself short..you make a KICKASS potato salad, along with some i-wish-i-could-eat-the-entire-batch cookies!

Cooking, now sewing...I can't wait to read what domestic chore you will next demolish.

silver to polish

Anonymous said...

I remember that blouse, it reminded me of the play clothes that were made from old curtains in the movie The Sound of Music. Only your blouse looked much better. Really.
Love,
Mudder