Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Hide & seek

Here's how it works: I throw the Frisbee upstairs. Gromit runs up to get it. I hide.

We've been playing all morning.

It's a total crack up listening to him scramble around the house desperate to find me.

He does a somewhat cursory check of the usual spots first: The bathroom, the laundry room, the family room. Then he circles back around -- actually taking the time to look behind doors and furniture.

If Gromit still can't find me, he starts this squealing, barking noise that is essentially the dog equivalent of bitching someone out.

He always finds me though. Then he runs like hell to make sure I can't get the Frisbee again.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hide and seek was one of my favorite games growing up.

Here was my trick to avoid being It: I'd hide somewhere very obvious and just a short distance from the goal. When the It person finished counting, they'd invariably take off running, assuming all of us were hiding somewhere Far Away.

I'd watch them zoom by, then run like hell to the goal. It's literally the last place they look.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There was something thrilling about hiding from someone desperate to find you.

It was a sneaky, thinky game and maybe that's why I liked it so much.

Confession: For some reason, playing hide and seek always made me want to pee. I have no idea why, but it was extremely irritating.

I think Da said once that it's that nervous-are-they-gonna-find-me feeling that makes you want to go to the bathroom.

I have no idea if that's true.

But maybe that explains why Gromit always checks the bathrooms first when I'm hiding.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am listening to: The wind
I am reading: Neil Steinberg
And I am: Still in my PJ's

2 comments:

Dave said...

Let me get this straight, you always chose the obvious, but near, place. And they always ran past you to the far, but conventionally sneaky, place. Slow learners, those childhood friends.

If you're just laying out of work, enjoy. If you're snowed in by the blizzard moving throught the Midwest, I hope you have soup and sandwiches to tide you through. If you're sick, get well. That' pretty much the possibilities, I think.

Hedy said...

Yeah, I could only do it once or twice before they were on to me. Still, it's my favorite tactic. I am working from home today. And it's a GREAT day for it -- cold and blustering. A good day for soup.