Tuesday, May 02, 2006

You know who

He’s the guy who arrives late and leaves early. He takes credit for the ideas and work of others. He wanders around your workplace with a coffee mug in his hand socializing more than half the day. He's always figuring out a way to work the system so he can get something for nothing. And he’s a master at holding other people responsible for the shit he’s supposed to be doing.

Know him? I bet you do. I bet there’s at least one person like that where you work.

I’ve got one here. We actually work in the same department, for the same manager.

It would drive me absolutely bat-shit if someone judged my work by his performance.

And you know what? I’ll take one hard-working illegal immigrant over 10 of those lazy-ass bastards any day.

So don’t talk to me about the small percentage of immigrants who will take advantage of the system.

Because they haven’t cornered the market on laziness, not by a long shot.
~~~~~~~~~~~
In between rainstorms, we cleaned up the front yard on Saturday.

I was on my hands and knees (well, knee actually since a year later I still can’t put any weight on the bad one) for a couple hours pulling weeds. Then raking. Then stuffing all the piles into waste bags.

It’s exhausting work if you haven’t done it in a while.

If, maybe you have a team of Mexicans who come to your house and do it for you. A hard-working band of immigrants who may or may not be here legally.

But you don’t care, do you? Your yard looks fabulous!

And your back doesn’t hurt at all. Like mine did on Sunday. Like theirs do every day.
~~~~~~~~~~
I am reading: Steinberg on the Immigration March in the Sun-Times
I am listening to: The All-American Rejects – Dirty Little Secret
And I am: Pissed Off

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if you understand the part of ILLEGAL immigrants. There are ways to enter and work for this country Legally. I have nothing against any of them and do wish them the best, but they need to obey the law, just like you and me. Except when you sneak thru that Red Light on your motorcycle! Love, Dilf