Monday, July 31, 2006

Angry & Jewish

Mel Gibson is an anti-Semitic alcoholic.

At least that’s what all the papers are saying.

He was driving while heavily intoxicated. He was pulled over and got belligerent with the arresting officer. Then he started spewing hatred about Jews.

I’m not surprised by any of it. But not why you’d think.

Yes, his father is a known anti-Semite who claims the Holocaust was mostly fiction. Yes, Gibson’s a big supporter of Opus Dei, a fundamentalist Catholic organization that advocates misogyny and corporal mortification. And yes, he’s battled alcoholism his whole life.

But here’s why I’m not surprised by Gibson’s hard fall from grace: It’s what invariably happens when you set yourself up as a shining example of anything.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Question: Gibson is one of the world’s most popular actors. He’s a millionaire many times over. He’s received blessings and prayers from millions of Catholics around the world because of his blockbuster movie, The Passion of Christ. He’s met the Pope, for Pete’s sake.

If this guy can’t get his shit together with all that going for him, how can we?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
He says he’s sorry.

He said: "I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable."

Bullshit.

Oh, I’m sure he’s sorry. There’s no question about that.

He’s sorry that his career is essentially over. He’s sorry that he got caught drinking and driving. He’s sorry for the pain he’s undoubtedly caused his family. He’s probably sorry he let down his fans, who I’m certain are praying for him this instant.

And he’s definitely sorry he said that thing about the Jews.

But he’s a big fat liar for saying it’s not what he truly believes.

Alcohol is like truth serum. It magnifies your worst habits and inclinations and brings out every ugly, mean thought you’ve ever had.

This guy actually believes that "Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world."

Doesn’t seem particularly Christian, does it?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh, Heather.

You’re supposed to be compassionate. This man is presumably at the lowest point in his life – it’s splashed all over the newspapers and tv – and we should feel sorry for him.

That would be the Christian thing to do I suppose.

But today, I’m feeling kinda angry and Jewish.

And this what I mean when I say I’m feeling Jewish: I’ve really had it with people hating others more than they love themselves and their families.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am reading: Steinberg
I am listening to: Nothing because I forgot my goddamn headphones
And I am: You guessed it, angry and Jewish

0 comments: