Monday, March 13, 2006

Walkies, talkies

“It’s nice having you along for walkies today.” - J.
“It’s nice being along. I just hope I’m not talking too much.” - H.
“Not at all. I usually talk to myself.” - J.
“You do? What do you say?” - H.
“I don’t know, I never listen.” - J.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gromit knows he gets walkies on Saturdays and Sundays.

If you’re not familiar with walkies, rent a Wallace & Gromit DVD. I recommend A Close Shave or The Wrong Trousers.

Jim usually takes Grom for walkies. When Jim is outta town, I take him.

But Sunday I joined in for the extremely rare event: Family Walkies.

Yes, family walkies.

Don’t laugh. You know you’ve got an equally absurd saying you use with the people/animals who share your home/life.

Walkies happen on the trail that runs along the Fox River. It is lovely and interesting year-round.

Most other dogs are very orderly in their walkies. They stick to the trail and heel like they’re supposed to.

Not Gromit. Early on, we decided the walk was for him, not us, so we put him in charge.

If he wants to stop and examine an unidentifiable pile of something for five minutes, he does. If he wants to meander off the trail to follow a scent, he meanders. And if he wants to take the leash and walk himself for a stretch, he grabs it and goes.

We are respectful of others on the trail and reel him in when necessary, but for the most part its his program.

I feel kinda sorry for the dogs whose people don’t get the concept of walkies.

And I feel worse for the people – so determined in their mission to Walk the Dog, completely oblivious to the wisdom that their four-legged friend could impart if only they’d just slow down to sniff and meander for a bit.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yes, I am concerned with talking too much.

I am always concerned about this. In any setting.

I heard a long time ago that God gave us two ears and one mouth so that we should listen twice as much as we talk.

So I try to listen mostly.

You’d be surprised at the shit that people spew when they are finally in the company of someone who will actually listen to them.

You learn a lot.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Ferrari is Italian for ‘I’m not banging my wife.’” - From Real Time with Bill Maher tonight.

0 comments: