Thursday, March 01, 2007

Good for me

“Hey HEATHER! It’s so NICE to see YOU with your clothes ON!”

“Hey, baby!” I reply. “You got some time for me on Friday?”

“I ALWAYS have time for YOU!”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That was my chiropractor, leaning out of his office to say hi last night as I walked into the tanning place next door.

He’s awesome.

And I don’t care if you agree with chiropractic; he’s fixed me repeatedly when the regular quacks couldn’t.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I walk into the tanning place cleaning the make-up off my face with one of those wet hand wipe thingies, and Mary gives me a great big smile.

“Hey Heather," she says. "Are ya cryin’ or cleaning off make-up?”

“Cleaning. What the hell do I have to cry about? I’m just so happy to be here,” I say, laughing.

Did I tell you there was a coup? The women who own the place got wind of how ugly things were at their business and learned that the bitch who put the cuss in customer service was screwing them out of a great deal of money. So they took the business back.

They even put up a sign: “Mary and Kathy are back! Service with a smile!”

I love that.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hedy. You take your clothes off at the chiropractor?

Yep. He makes his patients change into scrubs. Then you get hot packs on your back for 15 minutes. Then you get a massage for 15 minutes. Then he adjusts you.

Like I said, it's awesome.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My dry cleaner’s is on the other side of the strip mall from the chiropractor's office and the tanning place.

I walk in. They know who I am and have my clothes ready before I can whip out my credit card.

Sometimes I forget my card.

"No worry," they always say. "You pay next time."

They always smile and do that bob/bow thing that I always find myself mimicking.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What do these folks have in common, aside from their convenient location?

They are in business. They provide a service to me that I value. But they also always make me feel special and welcome and needed.

And it’s good for me. But it’s great for them.

I won’t go anywhere else.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am listening to: London Rain – Heather Nova
I am reading: Nothing, sadly
And I am: Good

2 comments:

Dave said...

I got up earlier than I normally do this morning; so, I stopped at a Waffle House - a southern greasy spoon chain (there's one, and often two, within a couple of hundred yards of every interstate exit in Georgia). I stop in this particular location maybe every other month.

As I walked to the counter the waitress smiled and approached with knife, fork and spoon which she put on a napkin on the counter in front of me.

There is a traditional way of ordering. I asked for "sausage, egg, cheese on wheat" She looked at the grill guy and said, "I forgot the cheese." She had already called out my order when she saw me getting out of my car. She turned to me and said "coffee in a to-go cup." Yes.

Good service is sometimes worth even more than the product. Double that when smiles are included.

Anonymous said...

My family always goes to "Yumi's" in Excelsior, MN. "Your quaint little Sushi Bar by the Lake"..We love the Sushi, but we love it just as much cuz of Yumi and Billy(the sushi chef). They treat us like Kings every time we are there. I know if they ever sold out or left, we would rarely go back. They're the Best!