Thursday, March 29, 2007

Tomorrow may rain

So I'm speeding. Really speeding.

Doing 70 in a 40 down Fabyan Parkway taking my Mom to lunch in Geneva.

I pass a cop going the other way and instantly know I'm busted. The guy flashes his lights, does a u-turn and I'm caught. Shit.

We're stopped and I'm digging around trying to find my registration and insurance card, but they're not in the usual spot. I realize because of the two break-ins, all my stuff was lost and I'm essentially fucked.

(Surprise #1)

"You know you were doing 55 in a 40 back there?"

(heh?)

"Yes, sir. I'm sorry. I didn't realize how fast I was going."

"Insurance and registration?"

"I can't seem to find it. My car was broken into in Aurora and I guess it was lost."

He's a hardass and he leaves without a word. And I'm sitting there with Mom, frantically searching for my shit because I know he's going to get me for (only) 15 over (whew!), but no docs too.

Shit. Shit. Shit. I really don't need this today.

He comes back.

"I still can't find it. I'm really sorry."

(Surprise #2)

"That's okay. I know you have it. Here's a warning. Have a good day."

I'm 30 over, no proof of insurance, no registration. And just a warning?

The Universe LOVES me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I'm tellin' ya Ma, the universe always takes care of me," says me.

"Well, you sure as hell need it," says Mom.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And that was how the day went. Mostly good things. Ended the day at the Bristol Tap with two of my favorite people in the world.

It's popcorn. It's the oldies station on the radio. It's the best fucking hamburger ever.

Complete contentment.

This song comes on -- and me and Mom start singing along at the exact same moment. It was one of those exceptionally amazing things you only share with someone who's known you your whole life.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That was a really great day.

It happened more than two years ago, but I still think about it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am listening to: People talking about Wii
I am reading: Case studies
And I am: Okay

6 comments:

Dave said...

You left me hanging - what's the name of the song?

Hedy said...

Tomorrow May Rain - The Beatles. :)

Anonymous said...

Cops. Some days they make you smile...

I was heading east on Rt 56, sitting at the red light at Hart Road. It was 10:00 at night. Nothing around but a strip mall on one corner - no other cars. I just got the Mustang back together, so I thought I'd let it rip. The cop hanging in the strip mall apparently didn't think that was a good idea. I was almost to Killer Kirk before I saw the distant red 'n blues. I pulled over, and he shuffled up.

"You fuckin' asshole!", he exclaimed as he approached the window.

I laughed and asked, "What?!?!"

"You fuckin' asshole!"

Then the look of "OH SHIT!" on his face was priceless. Copper thought I was his buddy. I wasn't. After a little banter about how the car was running, I was on my way with an understanding of "I won't tell if you won't tell."

Unfortunately, I don't have any stories of singing with the Ps. My mom wouldn't remember the words, and Dad... well, we just don't do duets.

-Mr. Uk

Dave said...

Ah, I forgot to weave the title into the story.

Anonymous said...

i'm guessin u arent telling us the real story....I'll bet lunch that you flashed him a little cleavage!

Hedy said...

Hard to do that in a sweatshirt.