Friday, March 30, 2007

Sharpening up

It was a sales training seminar. Customer-centric selling. Or Dale Carnegie.

Some bullshit class that specializes in teaching common sense to the common-sensically challenged. It was many years ago and mostly not memorable.

But I thought of one story from the class this week as I struggled -- every day -- to write something that wouldn't let you down.

The story was about sharpening your ax. You can keep chopping wood every day, but if you don't stop to sharpen up every so often, your productivity will go down.

Of course, the folks teaching the class -- a manic, depressingly upbeat sort -- used the parable to remind us that we needed to buy more training.

But you get the picture.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So last night on the train ride home, I left the PowerBook in the bag and read Wired magazine for the first time.

Whew.

It was like a big brain sneeze. Clearing out all the stale, icky thoughts and phrases.

It got me thinking about new things for work and home and blog.

I surprised myself and woke up at 4:30 this morning So Ready to Go, which hasn't happened since that infernal time change.

So do me a favor, would ya please? Next time it seems like I need a little sharpening, don't give me the ax.

Just say, "Hedy, it's time to sharpen up."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am listening to: Office banter
I am reading: Everything
And I am: Sharper

0 comments: