Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Minnesota karma

Minnesota is lovely this time of year. Really.

The snow was deep and mostly white, just like the people.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
The taxi pulled up to my hotel and I knew it would be a good trip: There’s a great big Botero on the corner.

He’s my favorite artist; his work always gives me a friendly, comforty, warm feeling.

Like being at home.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Another great thing about Minnesota: I met a few loyal HedyBlog readers.

It was extremely cool and a little strange. More on that another day.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Speaking of meeting new people, remember Samantha, the evil e-mail maniac from two weeks ago?

I finally met her.

Here is how I imagined it would go:

“Samantha? I’m Heather S______. It’s so nice to meet you! Perhaps you’ll think twice before trying to throw me under the bus now that we’ve actually met.”

Of course that’s not how it went.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Also, I caught a cold. More on that later.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have you ever noticed that you can be all fired up to zing someone who really deserves it, but once you finally have the opportunity somehow it just doesn’t feel right?

It’s been one of my all time biggest life lessons: I can’t be the one who delivers karma to people. I have to let the Universe do what it does and know that it'll all work out. On that rare occasion when I override my gut feeling and give someone What For, it invariably blows up in my face and I feel terrible about it.

Here’s the cool thing about finally meeting Samantha and NOT zinging her: I got that rare opportunity to see karma in action.

Samantha was responsible for booking the room for our event – it was the only thing she did and she fucked it up. Completely.

The classroom was somehow ‘double-booked’ and all of us – her co-workers, my co-workers and even a couple clients – got to see how she operates under pressure.

Not pretty. People don’t like her too much. She treats administrative people like dog shit.

The whole thing would've been really sad if it didn't make me so goddamn giggly.

I also took a small bit of satisfaction knowing that the only reason we got to keep the room was because I got there an hour before everyone else and set it up for our event.

Squatter's rights and whatnot.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Confession time: I fibbed just a little on that karmic retribution thing.

“Could you give this back to Samantha when you see her?” asked my boss, handing me a 2G flash drive he borrowed from her.

“Sure,” I say, wondering why I need to be in charge of returning this item when he's just as likely to see her as me.

But then I realize it’s an opportunity for a little passive karmic retribution.

I hold the thumb drive in my left hand, along with the snot rag I’ve been sneezing into all morning. For about 20 minutes.

Because my nose is chapped and crusty from all the blowing, it really hurt smiling so big handing it back to her.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am listening to: The movie Elizabeth
I am reading: Then We Came to the End by Joshua Ferris
And I am: Congested

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"It was extremely cool and a little strange"

Please Expound!

Hedy said...

My, we're an impatient bunch. A little strange = meeting people for the first time who know practically everything about you. Not strange in a bad way, though. :)